Works in progress

spread 15 in progress
bozeman main street # 15

spread 05 in progress
Bozeman main street # 5
For anyone who's curious as to how a page in the Bozeman project starts out, these are some spreads in progress. Nothing surprising really-- I'm a righty, so I always work left to right.  I also work front to back, drawing foreground objects like cars and trees first and the building behind them last. I don't draw anything out beforehand. I just go for it and hope it comes together. I do have to think about how many buildings I might be able to fit on a page before I start, and how much room I've got left to work with sometimes. I don't like to break up buildings between pages most of the time. I try to do cars particularly fast, because I have no idea how long they're going to be there. A lot of people ask me why there are no people in the drawings. I feel like most of the people I see on Main Street in the winter are on the move-- not many folks on benches-- and I'm not setting out to do any gestural drawing. I kind of like the lack of people, though. All of my other work is figural, so it's nice not to have to deal with them when I do these drawings. But really, when I think about it, the cars and buildings are the people. They're the inhabitants of downtown Bozeman. They come in all shapes and sizes, and each has a different personality.

Here's a spread I'm working on now. It was getting dark (and cold) when I started this one on Tuesday, and I haven't gotten back to it yet. Hopefully I'll finish it this weekend.
spread 17 in progress

Comments

  1. I really like seeing these in their unfinished and finished states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting, this presentation of your way of working. I've gone through almost your whole blog: beautiful! Keep on sketching and sharing the results with us!
    greetings from belgium

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I Draw Spherical Panoramas

A brief history of how I started to "curve" my sketches

Dinosaurs of the recent past